Benefits of Algae
Sea food today is very in demand. It is not only tasty and safe for the figure, but also useful. What is useful for algae? In such food contains a lot of protein, phosphorus, iron, calcium. Moreover, no other group of foods can boast of such an amount of polyunsaturated acids, as well as B vitamins.
But if shrimps, mussels, squid, oysters and similar seafood like almost everything, then to another type of such food – algae – many are without enthusiasm. Most often, they do not appear in our menu, and if we show mercy to them, we use them only sometimes in the form of sea kale, and algae contain many useful properties.
My attitude to algae until recently also differed little from the average. Now they are present in the menu of my family almost every day. For those visitors of our portal who, having reached this place, decided that there are algae they can not force themselves, and therefore, you can not read the article further, I will share this observation. Since this disgraced most of us food appeared on my table, the quality of my skin is admired even by a cosmetologist. Before that, I had to make a lot of efforts to make it at least in a satisfactory condition. Moreover, my nails and hair have improved. Solve problems with the head of hair will help proper care.
Few people know, but we use algae in one form or another almost every day, although we do not suspect about it. In the composition of marshmallow, pastille, marmalade, ice cream you will find alginic acids, carrageenan and agar-agar. These substances are derived from algae. In the production of food they are used to give them the necessary consistency and structure. Algae is also a part of many cosmetic products and food additives. They are shown to our body for potassium, boron, manganese, magnesium, bromine, vitamins C, E, B2, B3, B12, provitamin A, but most of all for iodine. When I became interested in these products, I began to study specialized literature. In one article I found information that neither persimmon, walnuts, nor buckwheat, nor even iodized salt, which are considered the main source of iodine, do not contain it in such volume. Iodine is needed for our immunity, it has antibacterial and antiviral action, is involved in the synthesis of thyroid hormones and the process of creating phagocytes – cells that protect the body from the invasion of viruses. Strengthen immunity will help ginger.
What else is useful for algae? They are also rich in algae selenium. This element protects the body cells from the harmful effects of free radicals on them. But the main thing is not even that. Due to the fact that algae contain such a large number of valuable substances, this product has a beneficial effect on the body as a whole. As a result, all of its systems begin to function properly, as they do not lack a certain element. From this and the condition of the skin, hair, nails improves. Pay attention to Japanese women or Chinese women. At me their skin causes silent envy.
There were a lot of foreign groups at the faculty where I studied. While we with the schoolmates suffered from permanent rashes, the eastern representatives of the fair sex about them did not even suspect. A year ago a Chinese woman did me a make-up for the wedding (the celebration took place abroad). I was very surprised when I learned the age of the stylist. I thought that she was not more than 35 years old. In fact, it turned out 50. The woman explained that the secret of the youth of her skin is in proper nutrition. On her table were regularly seafood, including seaweed. Then I did not attach any importance to this, but now, on my own experience, I am convinced of their action.
Algae is grown in many countries: Japan, China, and Korea. Recently, this has been done in European countries: Spain, Italy, Britain, the United States, France. I draw your attention to this, so that you do not refuse to purchase algae grown in these countries. Many people think (judging from observations of friends) that if the package says: “Made, for example, in the US”, then these algae are necessarily a non-natural product. They say, they always specialized in their cultivation only in the eastern countries. Do not be scared – algae from the same USA are a natural product. But I myself would not recommend you to pick algae yourself. They are grown on plantations that are a few kilometers from the shore, where the water is clean. And those plants that you find in the coastal zone can harm the body, Since they absorbed from the water in which they grow, all substances, among them not only useful. After all, in the coastal zone, the water is polluted, people rest here.
There are a lot of algae species. In food use 20 of them. Common are the following:
– Laminaria. We know it as sea kale. Laminaria contains especially a lot of iodine. It also perfectly stimulates the bowels. Most often in stores this type of algae is found in a canned form. Valuable substances in such a product are contained less than in fresh, dried or frozen kelp. But if you are categorically against algae (I hope so far), then buy at least marinated kelp. Benefit the body still bring. About what other products should be daily in the diet, you will learn from this article.
– porphyry – red algae. She’s called Nori. Sold in any store, where there is a department for cooking sushi. Porphyry is rich in iron, phosphorus, vitamins A, D and B12, calcium in it is three times more than in milk. To taste it reminds me of fried seeds. In nori you can wrap rolls and sushi, add it to smoothies, stew, omelettes;
– Wakame. This alga is valued for a large number of polyunsaturated acids, calcium and iodine. Freshly it is orange-brown in color and can reach a length of two meters. By the way, even those who are categorically not ready to diversify their diet with algae, find wakame pleasant to the taste. She’s a bit sweet. She reminds me of spinach. From wakame you can make soup, garnish to fish dishes, add it to pasta or salad. If you watch the figure, the wakame must be on your table. It not only does not contain a gram of fat, but, on the contrary, it has a substance such as fucoxanthin. It is a natural fat burner;
– Fucus. Fucus is also called sea oak. This seaweed is rich in folic acid. Moreover, it contains a full set of macro- and microelements that are part of the human body. The use of fucus reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood, helps strengthen the walls of blood vessels and cleanse the body of toxins. This seaweed has a salty taste, so it can be replaced in salt form with salt;
– Comb. Contains a large number of amino acids, glutamate, iodine, calcium, as well as natural remedies that reduce high blood pressure. The kombu is used to make dasi, the traditional Japanese broth. The recipe is simple – you need to fill the dried seaweed with cold water. As soon as it boils, the pan is removed from the fire. The hot dish is ready. This seaweed is perfectly combined with fish, meat and vegetables. Therefore, it can be added in any form in stew, pastas, bake with other foods;
– dulce – another red alga. It has a sweet-salty taste. Dulce is a source of vitamin B12, vegetable protein and many trace elements. This kind of algae is used usually as a seasoning for cooking dishes from fish and soups;
– an ulva, or a sea salad. Has a neutral taste and iodine flavor. In its fresh form it is used for the preparation of salads, dried – as a seasoning;
– kanten. It is rich in microelements, vitamins and fiber. It is from it that agar-agar is obtained – the very substance that is responsible for the consistency of many of the products I wrote about above;
– Spirulina. This alga contains up to 77% protein, which is three times its amount in meat. The protein spirulina is full, that is contains a full set of essential acids. To taste this alga looks like mushrooms. I want to warn you: it is almost impossible to buy a living spirulina in Russia. Basically it is offered in the form of tablets. In many sources, I read that because of this, it is often counterfeited. So be careful when ordering this kind of algae. Spirulina is recommended to be added to salads with citrus, because vitamin C promotes better absorption of iron contained in spirulina.
Where to begin?
Algae does not necessarily have to be fresh. Many of them can become a wonderful seasoning for already familiar dishes, giving them a completely new flavor and aroma. I began to introduce algae into my family’s diet with a dried form. I note that in all stores in my city (which is a millionaire) I was able to find algae on sale just in this form. Dried seaweed can be seasoned with soups, side dishes, vegetable stews, steaks from fish. To my taste, the most suitable for this are kelp and fucus. In the shredded form they can be bought even in pharmacies. Add the algae to the ready-made dish. So they will retain more of their useful properties. When you begin to get acquainted with algae, season them with dishes a little. Gradually, you can increase their number, focusing on your taste. Just if you add algae from the first time a lot,
Do not combine all kinds of algae with corn, radish, cabbage, radish and mustard. These products adversely affect the absorption of iodine. You will learn more about the correct combination of products by reading the article “10 Myths About Healthy Eating”
You can prepare salads and soups with seaweed. Try this recipe. I found it in one magazine. You will need Bulgarian pepper, tomatoes, different varieties of onions and kelp. All cut and season with olive oil mixed with vinegar or lemon juice. Or this option: take your favorite seafood – squid, mussels, eel – and add to them any kind of alga that you prefer to taste.
Spoil your loved ones for breakfast with an omelette with fucus. Whisk two eggs by adding two teaspoons of chopped algae. Allow the mixture to stand for 15 minutes to allow the fucus to open its fragrance and taste. Prepare the dish in olive oil.
Everyone will like this dish: soften the butter (let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes). At this time, mix the dried and powdered dulce, nori and ulva. Add them to the oil, add salt, mix and refrigerate.
As you can see, algae are not only formless and seemingly unsympathetic marine life, but also a useful product from which you can prepare many dishes. Try different kinds of algae, even if now it seems to you that none of them can not be tasty. I assure you – among their variety, you are sure to find those who will become loved. Pleasant gastronomic discoveries!